A Special Post

This is a special post dedicated to my best friend who has stood by me through thick and thin. I do not want to reveal this person’s name but rather describe this person. This person has been my support all through my school, college and professional life. In school this person was the one whom I would pick on my birthday to accompany me to every class to distribute sweets to the teachers. My day would not be complete without calling this person after school and talking for at least half an hour despite the fact that I was with this person all through the day in school. Life would have been drab if I did not have this person to discuss about rumors, gossip and how can I forget, long talks about cute guys and endless rants about teachers who messed up our happiness. This person was my accomplice when I transformed into a detective trying to find out my secret admirer or the mystery caller who would torment me by his calls and put me in trouble with my parents. You my dear friend were the source of my encouragement when I did not want to slog in the workshop during engineering and instead wanted to get the wrought iron models in some workshop outside by joining hands with me in this endeavor. I cannot imagine my engineering days without our giggles and pranks. You were the person who lent your shoulder for me to sleep on when I was unwell, you rejoiced when I did well in my term exams and you cried when I cried.

Should I even have to mention the episode on the library terrace when you endlessly threatened the person who stole my phone? I couldn’t help but smile even in that state of mind. I also remember the ugly SMS’s that were sent to this person to return my phone. I hated the time when you would get so scared when I raised my voice and then pull my leg about the incredible temper I had. You were so jealous when a new person wanted to be part of our group. I remember bunking classes with you in the name of doing something eventful for the college fest, laughing at your playfulness and careless attitude with the teachers. I always wondered how you would cram everything in the last minute and still do better than me in the exams and how can I forget the disgusting names that you would call me in front of the entire class. You would claim that I was the only person with whom you would actually gossip but otherwise you were a very non-gossip and non interfering type of person. I still do not believe that.

Only you know how much I would love bunking half a day of office just to gossip and shop and have lunch or watch a movie with you. I can’t forget the time when we had nothing to do so we just ate and ate so much that we walked like pregnant ladies. I admired the way you drove out an unwanted, obsessed pest out of my life with just a single phone call. At first I thought you were extremely quiet, I off all the people had to make an effort to strike a conversation with you and then there came a point when I had to ask you to shut up. . I still remember the time when we all went for a movie and you just went dumb, I was cursing my stars for sitting next to you because all you would talk about was regarding the schedule of when each movie would release in the future. I was so bored and just when I was about to judge you, you sang the happy birthday jingle loudly and very melodiously (Sarcasm to the core) to me over the phone on my birthday. I was surprised by the diversity of your nature.

Your flirtatious nature intimidated me; I started believing in the adage that looks can be deceptive only after seeing you. I must admit that I hated you at first but no words can express how much I’m attached to you now. I still remember the time when you lost your balance and dropped a whole glass of cake shake which I was eagerly waiting to have in front of everyone in the mall. God wasn’t I embarrassed!!! All your stupid antiques actually came across as cute to me and your temper is something even Lord Shiva will shudder to think about :)

I still can’t forget the time when you came to India just for a month and were eager to meet me and I couldn’t meet you due to whatever reasons. Only I know how guilty I felt and it was like the sky had finally taken its rightful position and was no more resting on my head when I apologized to you.

You were the only one with whom I had an instant connection. I could just be myself, talk gibberish and be foolish with you. Most of my photographs with you are indicators of the wild, crazy times I have had with you. I have never felt so emotional when I dropped you off at the airport. I was already planning a trip in my head to meet you again.

I could go on and on describing about this special person for days or months or years and what makes it all the more special is that the person I have described about till now is not just one person. I have described all my special friends who have made a profound impact in my life in this post. They are extraordinary people who have given me great memories to cherish all my life and the least I can do is dedicate this blog to them. Cheers to all of you!!! You guys have made me laugh, cry, scream, angry to the extent that I have pulled my hair out, bored, irritated, authoritative, sympathetic , made me look like a fool and I can go on and on. In short you guys have brought out the best in me.

14 comments:

The shadow reader said...

Wow! Awesome! Awesome! I remember having a similar 'mobile phone got stolen' incident & the endless threatening that followed from a close friend. I am so inspired to dedicate a blog to my friends. After all they are the family we choose. The tribe we belong to!
Signing off with a big smile :):)

Milana said...

@Ashwath: Thanks a lot!!! Glad you liked it. Its totally worth it to write something about your friends, after all they are such an integral part of our lives. When you actually retrospect, you won't believe the number of good memories that you have had with each one of them. It's just amazing :)

ad said...

cool post milana.....
lucky 2 have such frnds in your life..
good luck..

Milana said...

@Jay: Thanks a lot!! Welcome to my blog.

Saras said...

Blessed are those who have good friends! Parents love and raise you but it is a friend who moulds you and brings out the best in you!

Milana said...

@Saras: Very true!! Its so amazing that people who are not related to you by blood become so dear to you and life becomes so incomplete without them.

Viju -My world My Space said...

Awesome post milana
This reminds me of my frnds frm school till now .
without frnds dont know how we all wud be in this current world

Milana said...

@Vijaya: Thank you so much. I completely agree with you. Life without friends is no fun :)

zepyr said...

That was a moving post Milana. Loved it!Friends indeed are our solace, encouragement and inspiration too! :)

Ramya said...

Excellent .... loved this !!!!

Milana said...

@Zepyr and @Ramya : Thanks a lot guys!!

Shilpa Garg said...

Its a blessing to have good friends around!!
Have a great time with them.
Cheers :)

Milana said...

@Shilpa: Thank you so much and welcome to my blog :)

Lazy Pineapple said...

hey…you have won the Caption Contest on my blog. Congratulations :)
Please drop me a mail and I will mail you the trophy :)