Tuition Woes

It was semester vacations when I enrolled for GRE coaching. Everybody was doing it so why not me was my opinion. I had no clue what I would be doing after my MS but then again I had all the time to kill so I thought enrolling for coaching was a good idea. Besides the tutor was a very good family friend of our's and my dad was very keen about it too. Competitive exams like this scares me a lot mainly because I dont belong to the league of brilliant minds, I'm just another person with an average IQ.

It was the first day of coaching and that was when I met Anup, a very innocent looking guy I must say.We were the only two people in the coaching class at that time. Very soon we both realized that the tutor was a tyrannical person, we would literally get terrorized by him sometimes. We had this practice where in he would teach us something in the beginning of the class and then we would work out some exercises for the rest of the class. We were then given a set of assignments that we were supposed to complete at home and we would then discuss the answers for those in the next class. Discussing the answers was the worst part of all, every human being makes mistakes and everybody knows that but we had to undergo so much of embarrasement if we gave out wrong answers. He would behave like we didnt know the answer for such a simple problem as 2+2. So all the time me and Anup would dread to give away the answers and we would also look at each other's faces, just hoping that we were giving the right answers.

I still remember the time when a new guy joined the coaching class. All the poor thing did was tell the tutor which school he was from and that was the end of him. Our tutor went on about how schools like his dont teach proper English and how careless the teachers are and on and on. Anup and me felt really bad about what was happening and we both felt that the man was really rude towards the guy and we were quite relieved that we were not in the guy's position and were wondering how terrorized he must have been. The next day we were expectantly waiting for the guy and he never showed up. The second day went by and so did the third and fourth and the guy was nowhere to be seen. Thats when we realized that the guy must have just hooted and scooted from the coaching class, vouching to never return.

There was this one fateful day when I couldn't make it to the class and I was really upset that I didnt have Anup's phone number to inform him. So there Anup was all by himself, terrorized and having no one for company. The next day he told me how petrified he was while giving out the answers and having to bear the brunt all by himself. That day we exchanged our phone numbers and decided that if one wasn't attending the class, we would inform the other and both would not turn up. We actually started doing that and the tutor and his wife were amazed how coincidental it was, little did they know about our devious plans.Finally it so happened that I never gave the GRE exam as I got a good job and I decided to work and Anup gave the exam and got a brilliant score and now he is in the US. Its something we always reminisce and laugh about.

6 comments:

Ashutosh said...

Hillarious experience.. and well documented too... nice!

Karan Agrawal said...

Hahahah... reminded me of my tuition days! Enjoyed reading... Keep it up!

Mohan said...

Your story takes me through all those sequels of Professor Viru Sahastrabudhhe (ViruS) from 3 idiots. I hope this guy was no different from that specimen!!!

Funny yet captivating narration. Good one :)s

Milana said...

@Karan: Thanks for reading,glad you liked it.

@Mohan: Yes you are very right, when I was watching 3 Idiots, I was thinking the same :)

Saras said...

Some teachers do suffer from this "impatience syndrome" and need counselling!! In my CA days I had a similar experience with my tuition teacher that I ended up telling him, "If every CA is going to be like you, I do not want to pursue this course at all". It shook him and he did change after that and made us come out with flying colors!!

Milana said...

Wow Saras!! It was a great thing you did by enlightening your teacher. Some of them definitely need a wake up call.