The Race

After a long wait I’m finally having my end term holidays for a week. When I mention a week, it just means that I will not be attending classes for a week because as I have mentioned in my previous post, I’m still working so that doesn’t leave me with any “Holidays” as such. Well I don’t want to talk much about the exams, it was a traumatic experience and I hope I don’t get scarred for life with such experiences every quarter. Last Sunday when I was relaxing and enjoying the sweet pleasures of freedom, I happened to notice that the movie ‘3 Idiots’ was playing on TV and I wanted to watch it again. The last time I had seen the movie was just after its release in the theatre. I knew it was a great movie with a lot of emotional moments sandwiched between some really hilarious scenes which I’m sure the audiences were really able to connect to.

When the movie was playing on TV, I couldn’t help but notice the difference in me. I was not just laughing when there was a funny scene nor did I just have a lump in my throat when the scenes got really emotional. I was thinking about each and every thing that was said or shown in the movie and my thoughts were profound and deep. My heart specially went out to the two protagonists struggling to make it through in the college. One is bombarded with the stress of providing for his family and being the only savior of his poverty stricken family and the other is caught in a web of parental pressure to do something he doesn’t feel passionate about. How many times haven’t we been in similar situations? The race as they call it in the movie begins very early in life. I’m sure 90% of us are not what we aspired to be when we were young. As we grow old, the realities of life cave in on us; we start thinking about things practically. It’s all about money and not about passion anymore.

Thus begins the never ending race to join the best school, best college, and best university all in the quest of finding that perfect job that will flood our homes with so much money that there is no such word as “Want” in our dictionary. Just the very thought of having so much money makes me so happy right now. What scares me sometimes is everyone feels that they will become rich and famous some day. At least most of the people I know feel that way but if that were to be true, I’m sure the world would be populated with rich people. Well what happens to those countless people who feel that they will be rich someday? They just realize that they were immature to think that way at one point in their life and they just get practical in life and accept the harsh realities of life.

Nevertheless the race still continues and the number of engineer’s, doctor’s and MBA’s keep growing at an exponential rate harboring dreams of success and a better tomorrow.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You ~Ron

Prashanth said...

RACE!

One thing I never want to get in. But, its the only thing this World pushes me to.

Life, would be prettier if we are allowed to live our own.

Thought-provoking post Milana :o)

Toyin O. said...

Interesting post Milana.Remember to breathe and take life one day at a time.

http://youcanfacetodaybecausehelives.blogspot.com

Milana said...

@Prashanth: Thanks!! Ya I agree with you, life would be so much better without unnecessary competition. The race makes things so much more uglier.

Milana said...

@Toyin: Thanks and I'll take your advice. It really helps to take each day as it comes.

Vinay Sharma said...

very true .. vicious circle as one may say ..

talking about 3 idiots, there is one good dialogue .. a child was born and the father says "mera beta engineer banega" :)

ಸಾಗರದಾಚೆಯ ಇಂಚರ said...

Nice post Milana
liked it

Anonymous said...

Good One...An Eye Opener!